2014年11月24日星期一

I give birth to 46 thanks dinners missing with private. And after that, I’ll be present uninteresting.

I give birth to 46 thanks dinners missing with private. And after that, I’ll be present uninteresting.

I’m not talented by quantifying my life. As a rule of us aren’t. We don’t think of life at the same time as a fixed resource so as to needs management, but it is. Life is fixed and we keep using it up each subsequent. Even the smartest population I know no more than give birth to a vague logic of what’s missing versus what’s been used in the field of their lives.

The Quantified Self movement of step trackers and be asleep apps has gotten it backwards. The way to coins our behavior isn’t to evaluate our every day deeds, but to evaluate it relation to I beg your pardon? Remains of our life.

Why don’t additional of us quantify the falling resource of life? It’s entirely too gloomy. We are frozen with uncertainty in the region of our yet to come. We are so occupied with tomorrow so as to we stop thinking about the todays we give birth to missing. We’re simply in the field of denial.

So I counted I beg your pardon? Is missing in the field of my life. In the field of order to tell somebody to the process succeed, I stopped using the language of uncertainty and ongoing being overly definite in the region of I beg your pardon? Is missing. I ongoing by calculating my activities and predicted their yet to come occurrences. After that I compulsory myself to get in touch with them in the field of make, unambiguous statements.

Let’s start with two brutally informationtion:

I spirit live to 83. I spirit be present functional until 75.

Relating in our day and the daylight hours I go dead, I give birth to 5 additional to your place buys missing. I give birth to 19 car purchases missing. I give birth to 1,368 bottles of wine missing to drink. I give birth to 46 new-found countries missing to visit. I give birth to 8,376 dinners missing with my wife. Et cetera, et cetera. The lone figure so as to I can’t bring myself to make known is the figure of era I give birth to missing to refer to my mom. I can feel the tears welling up inside me.

These informationtion don’t tell somebody to me favorable. They are morbidity made real. They are a harsh authenticity disparate to the vague, helpful, seemingly very great notion of the yet to come I used to give birth to.

But my overly definite count of life so as to remains is entirely at the same time as real of a construct at the same time as a dreamy, muddled yet to come. The quantification of life so as to remains is a mammoth dose of authenticity.

Nearby is lone unwavering helpful realization so as to comes from plus the life so as to remains: I am my own Dr. Emmett Brownand my own Marty McFly. My schedule android isn’t a retro-futuristic stainless steel DeLorean. My schedule android is entirely elementary educate math on a table. All that’s obligatory to travel to the yet to come is to take rancid the blinds of uncertainty and talk them on behalf of a convinced prediction — and know so as to we are gratis to correct them with methodical changes in the field of behavior.

Did facing my mortality tell somebody to me additional appreciative of my life?

Okay. Nix.

I give birth to 228,000 miles missing to drive in the field of my life. I won’t be present changing my behavior on so as to. While I can increase poetic in the region of the thrill of each mile, that’s bullshit. I’ll finish as a rule of it zombie-driving in the field of traffic. However, I no more than give birth to 46 new-found Year’s Eve celebrations missing (Whoa! That’s not as much of than 50!). I’ll certainly be present additional appreciative and additional thoughtful in the region of how I finish my new-found Year’s Eves.

It and turns given away, I refer to an ordinary of lone fireworks performance for each time (I systematically skip NYE before independent status Day). Forty six fireworks shows enduring? Damn. Let’s order up a coins in the field of tendency.

Be present warned. Quantification of the life so as to remains isn’t a blanket license to turn over everything rectify right away. In the field of actuality, radical behavioral changes rarely stick.

Quantification is a cautionary tale of how I’ve sleepwalked through many amazing moments, and the determination so as to I can coins my yet to come.

Nearby are no more than two ways to coins the yet to come

Lone: Prepare additional of I beg your pardon? I like

On behalf of case in point, I read an ordinary of lone put your name down for each 2.5 weeks. It was a blow to be taught so as to I had not as much of than 1,000 books missing to read — 966 to be present exact.

Known the amazing literary machinery the whole time history and the amazing machinery to approach in the field of the after that 46 years, I began to wonder if I would be present favorable with this figure. The clear-cut gadget to prepare is to grow the schedule spent on put your name down for evaluation. But nearby in the field of mendacity the riddle. Quantification of life so as to remains is a brutal reminder in the field of the finiteness of schedule.

I can try to tender my life, but there’s very trifling I can prepare to truly tender the functional, glowing portion of it. But for science produces a few famous, pains to fight the dial are not my greatest return on investment.

So so as to course burden not as much of of something as well. Fortunately, there’s a fate of bullshit in the field of our lives and I can remove at the same time as much of so as to at the same time as viable. Who doesn’t sweetheart getting relieve of crap! But so as to leads to a new riddle: Removing bullshit course costs lots of schedule looking on behalf of, and focusing on, the bullshit. Eww.

It’s a all-time struggle to coins the ratio of talented schedule against. Bad schedule as it is dependent on so much outside, disobedient procedures like traffic, the reduced, other population, and the rest. Fighting I beg your pardon? I can’t coins course I’m entirely shouting into the wind. That’s the opposite of how I like to finish my schedule.

Can I prepare additional of I beg your pardon? I like by removing I beg your pardon? I don’t like? Every now and then. Is it the greatest way to mend the have a break of my life? Nix. There’s a better way.

Two: Mend the quality of what’s missing

I can, however, coins how I look at both and each experience.

Let’s take the diverse humanity of food. I give birth to 114 Michelin-star meals enduring. I and give birth to 14,352 cups of coffee and 7,176 bananas missing (at schedule of magazine 7,175 bananas remain).

It’s not in the region of costs additional money. I suppose I possibly will drink no more than Kopi Luwak brewed in the field of the vacuum of hole, before consume no more than organic dwarf bananas selected by albino-chimps, before no more than dine by 3-Michelin star restaurants in the field of eastern Spain. (I possibly will, but so as to devolves the question of quality into a carry some weight of fiscal constraint and is ultimately a zilch sum achieve and yet a new drain on schedule.)

Quality of experiences is entirely a mental, self-controllable pursuit. Nearby are many ways to attain the skills: Contemplation, self-help, religion, and the rest. But by the main of both and each single lone is the message “It’s not in the region of grabbing additional, but appreciating the right away.”

Here’s I beg your pardon? I can prepare: I can be present thoughtful. I can be present methodical. I can create a animal depleting reminder to I beg your pardon? I give birth to left — such at the same time as marbles in the field of a jar. I can say “yes” to the of great consequence, and say “no” to everything as well. I can sweetheart the talented and tolerate the bad. (I can liveliness on, and on.)

All of these phrases are familiar as we give birth to all been told how to run a quality life. Yet we don’t. We tell somebody to excuses.

So as to was until I counted how many birthdays I had missing: 46.
http://batteryerde.blog.com/


没有评论:

发表评论